Rye Saison - Red Wine Barrel Round 2

>> Sunday, April 17, 2016

Today I'm brewing a Rye Saison for Dallas' Red Wine Barrel Project. This is a recipe the Dallas has brewed many times and I think it's a fantastic candidate for a sour barrel. Here's a link to the original recipe on Brewtoad, and below is the recipe adjusted for my system's efficiency.

9.0# 2.0oz Avangard German Pilsner
2.0# 4.0oz Briess Rye Malt
7.0oz Avangard Munich I Malt
4.0oz Castle Aromatic Malt
28g Sterling (60 min)
56g Sterling (Whirlpool 30 min)
28g Saaz (Whirlpool 30 min)
0.5 Whirlfloc
Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
Wyeast 3711 (1L starter)

Mash at 152F, 90 minute boil, chill to 65F, allow to free-rise up to 77F

Water Profile
To 10 gallons of distilled water, I added:
6.3g Epsom salt
3.2g Calcium chloride
2.4g Baking soda
0.8g Chalk

Update 4/19/2016
No major issues during this brew session. I tried out a stainless steel hop spider I bought from a buddy of mine before he moved. It's larger than the one I bought from Utah Biodiesel, but the mesh isn't as fine. It let more debris through which meant my pre-chiller filter had to deal with more debris and the flow was much lower than normal. I let the temp stabilize overnight then pitched the yeast yesterday morning and it was showing active signs of fermentation by the time I got home.

Update 5/23/2016
This beer went into a keg yesterday. It'll be going,into the barrel next weekend which means I'll be getting 5-ish gallons of soured Baltic porter next weekend too.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget