Grain Mill Build - Part 2

>> Saturday, January 21, 2012

So I wasn't quite as good about taking photos for part 2.  I added tubing to support the bottom shelf, drilled holes for mounting screws, and welded nuts to the plates that were then welded to the bottom of the legs.  Once this was all done, I gave it a couple coats of Rustoleum Professional red spray paint.  It turned out well but I doubt it will ever be this nice looking once I start using it.

I took a different approach to the hopper than I'd originally planned.  I was planning on making the hopper out of wood but then I realized the crazy compound cuts I'd have to do to clear the sheave and have a decent slope for directing the grain.  I figured there was a pretty good chance of me creating a lot of kindling before I managed to successfully create a usable hopper.  Plan B was to use a 5 gallon plastic carboy with some kind of a mount attached to the top of the mill; this is the option I went with.

The mount on the top of the mill is essentially a small box made out of plywood.  I used a 2 1/4" hole saw to make the hole in the top and also added a second piece of wood (with a hole) about two inches down from the top of the box.  At the bottom, I've attached two angled strip (45 degrees).  These will help direct the grain towards the gap between the two rollers. All the wood received a couple coats of high gloss polyurethane.  This should provide some protection to the plywood and it also makes things look a little cleaner.

The sides of the mill itself are open and the instructions indicate to tape cardboard or something similar to cover them.  I opted to go with some plexiglass so that I'd be able to see the rollers spinning when in use.  Next up is final assembly.

Click here for part 1.
Click here for part 3

The neck of the carboy fits into this box/mount.

Another view of the carboy box/mount.

The frame, all welded and painted.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget